UT’s late surge not enough to overcome slow start

2012-02-24_Big_12_Track_Lawrence
Lawrence Peart

Kendra Chambers sets the 600-yard record at Gilliam Indoor Stadium in College Station with a time o

While the Longhorns charged into College Station armed and dangerous, they ultimately retreated from the Big 12 battleground with an unsatisfying second-place finish.

Earning Texas’ first two points, senior pole-vaulter Jessica Doyle, who finished just outside the top eight at last year’s Big 12 Championships, tied for sixth in the event.

After qualifying for the long jump finals, A’Lexus Brannon wrapped up Friday’s field events with a jump measuring 6.01-meters, landing her in third place. Adding six points to the team’s total, she was the top-scoring Longhorn. Later in the weekend, Brannon furthered her point contribution with a fourth-place finish in the triple jump.

Overshadowing a cumulative score of 14 points at the end of day one was hope in the fact that more than 10 Longhorns had qualified for the finals in numerous events.

With the new day, Texas’ comeback commenced with the team’s domination in the high jump, Saturday’s first event.

In the finals, Shanay Briscoe and Victoria Lucas tied for second, missing the first-place mark by 0.03 meters. Alicia Peterson secured sixth and Beverly Owoyele placed seventh. The combined effort racked up 19 points for Texas.

Despite four Texas high jumpers placing in the top seven, UT missed the opportunity of clenching a victory in the event.

In the first race on Saturday, Morgan Snow took fourth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Allison Peter finished fifth in the 60-meter open dash. In addition, Peter, a multi-event competitor, ran for a NCAA qualifying time of 23.11 seconds in the 200-meter dash. Nonetheless, the sophomore’s rally for first was stifled by Texas A&M freshman Kamaria Brown.

Amassing a total of 13.5 points for the team, which placed her tenth overall in individual scorers, Peter also added to UT’s effort on Saturday by running a leg in the 4×400-meter relay. Peter, Stacey-Ann Smith, Briana Nelson and Kendra Chambers united, placing third in the event with an NCAA qualifying time that was faster than the standing Big 12
Championships record.

Breaking Gilliam Indoor Stadium’s 600-yard record with a time of 1:19.23, Chambers re-established her reign as the race’s Big 12 titleholder. The win was the sole Texas first-place finish of the meet.

Texas earned points in 15 out of 19 events, more than any of the nine other teams that took part in the conference championships. The Longhorns finished Saturday with 112 points, but the team’s late emergence hindered it from grasping a Big 12 victory.

Texas A&M won its last Big 12 Indoor Championships, beating Texas by 28 points.