Robinson, Kansas take down Texas, win regular season title.

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson led the Jayhawks with 25 points and 14 rebounds to a 73-63 win over the Longhorns on Satuday.

Kansas’ squad of pro-ready athletes put Texas away in the second half on the heels of Robinson’s 18 points that period. In his last regular season game at home, senior guard Tyshawn Taylor added 22 points, including 14 in the second half, and four assists that paced the Jayhawks. J’Covan Brown lived up to his billing as the league’s best scorer, notching 33 points on 9-18 shooting, but Texas couldn’t get its younger players in on the mix. The Longhorn freshman combined for just 16 points.

Texas was only down 21-26 at the half, but the third-best team in the country, had arguably the best player in the country to pace the Jayhawks.

“He’s the best player in the country,” Texas forward Clint Chapman said of Robinson. “He took advantage of every opportunity that we gave him with offensive rebounds and driving by guys.”

Robinson wasn’t the only player bruising Texas in the paint. Kansas scored 30 points in the key, compared to 16 by Texas, and it ourebounded the Longhorns 36-29. Seven-footer Jeff Withey snagged six boards for Kansas and managed nine points.

Chapman was one of many Longhorns brutalized by the big-man inside, and it hurt that the Longhorns couldn’t rely on their interior defensive specialist, Alexis Wangmene. Wangmene attempted to secure a defensive rebound, but came down wrapped up with a teammate and extended his arm to break his fall. He left the game with a left-wrist injury. There is no official timetable for his return, but he is expected to miss the remainder of the season.

Texas will take on the third-seed Iowa State Cyclones on March 8 in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.