Well-received fashion blogger set to visit Austin

PRESS_0307_Blogger_PRESS

Veronika Placek (not pictured), the blogger behind Tick Tock Vintage, will be speaking about issues such as blog content at this weekend’s Texas Style Council conference. (Photo courtesy of Veronika Placek)

Editor’s note: This is the first of two profiles on fashion bloggers who will be part of this weekend’s Texas Style Council conference. Look for the second profile in tomorrow’s issue.

Veronika Placek is no stranger to the camera. Everyday she heads outside and poses pretty while wearing the outfit she picked out that morning.

A few years ago, Placek was sitting at desk at a corporate job office in Philadelphia wishing for bigger and better things. She decided to start a style blog as a means of escape, and thus, Tick Tock Vintage was born in April 2010. The website now gets over 100,000 views a month.

Placek will be attending Texas Style Council, which will be running concurrent to South By Southwest, this weekend as a speaker. Texas Style Council is a conference devoted entirely to female bloggers and shop owners that will take place March 9-11. Placek will address issues such as balancing one’s life and blog, as well as finding your blog’s content niche.

As a thrifter, Placek loves to show off her vintage finds, noting where she makes adjustments of her own to pieces.

“I don’t really go into the thrift store with specific pieces in mind; I generally just pick things up that appeal to me,” Placek said. “I always look for high quality materials like wool, leather and silk, and pieces that aren’t damaged.”

Placek suggests that those who have never thrifted before look though every section of the store. She notes that areas outside of your particular size section might include pieces that can be altered in such a way as to fit.

“Don’t forget to check the boys section, too,” Placek said. “I found the perfect fitted navy blazer for $5.99.”

UT alumna and recent Marie Claire Front Row Challenge winner Diya Liu of the blog In Her Stilettos praises Placek’s unique style.

“I love how Veronika skillfully combines vintage and modern aesthetics into looks that are all her own,” Liu said. “I also love her signature red lips that go with each outfit.”

It makes sense that Placek notes Alexa Chung and Francoise Hardy as her style icons. Like Chung and Hardy, Placek’s style can be described as vintage mixed with modern elements. She attempts to avoid looking like she is in costume by adding modern pieces that balance out her outfits.

Local style blogger Natalie Garza of Closet de Natalie is an avid reader of Placek’s blog.

“I’ve been following Veronika since before I started blogging,” Garza said. “I really admire her classic, timeless style and often try to recreate it with my own outfits. She combines great vintage finds, thrifted treasures and low-cost retail purchases for a totally unique look.”

Not only does Placek have an interesting style, but she also gives her blog readers a bit of insight to her personal life, something not all style bloggers let their readers see. This allows her readers to get more of a sense of what Placek’s
personality is like.

So, when Placek is feeling bogged down with work or happy because of a recent vintage find, the readers feel as if they are a part of her daily journey. In April 2011, Placek left the corporate office and got a teaching job. She writes of the ups and downs of being a third grade teacher on a regular basis. Like her full-time job, style blogging has its own pros and cons.

“The only real negative about blogging is the time is takes up. I have a full time job outside of blogging and sometimes I get really swamped with all of the things I need to do,” Placek said. “But I’ve absolutely loved meeting lots of awesome gals through blogging, and the constant inspiration that I get from such stylish ladies.”

Placek will get a chance to meet and mingle with her favorite fashion bloggers at the upcoming style council. She said that she is looking forward to listening to the panelists speak about interesting topics such as thinking locally, informative writing and collaborating with brands.

If you see Placek this weekend walking down the streets of Austin wearing her signature vintage look, you may mistake her for a true Austinite. This will mark Placek’s first trip to Austin, and she’s sure to be entranced by its quirkiness as well as all of its vintage shops.

“I can’t wait to see what Austin is like,” Placek wrote on her blog. “I’ve heard really great things about Austin and am really looking forward to what the city has to offer.”

Printed on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 as: Vintage fashion blogger set to speak at Texas Style Conference