Several graduate schools recognized as top in country

2012-03-27_Ranking_engineering_Pu
Pu Ying Huang

Senior aerospace engineering major Michael Nicholson tests out the payload mechanism for his team’s handcrafted remote controlled plane Monday afternoon. Recently, the School of Engineering retained it’s ranking of number 8 in U.S. News & World Report 2013 graduate schools.

Three University departments were recognized in a recent report revealing the top graduate schools in the country.

In addition to the number three rank the College of Education received, the College of Pharmacy, School of Engineering and School of Social Work were ranked within the top 10 of their respective areas according to the U.S. News & World Report 2013 graduate school rankings.

M. Lynn Crismon, Dean of the College of Pharmacy, said the department of pharmacy education has been one of the premiere programs in the country for the past 25 years and is delighted that the number four ranking continues to place the College among the upper tier.

“We work each and every day to achieve our vision of being the leading academic center for innovative interdisciplinary research and pharmacy education and revolutionizing patient care in Texas and the world,” Crismon said.

Gregory Fenves, Dean of the Cockrell School of Engineering, said the ranking process is very competitive and is thrilled the School retained its number eight spot among the nation’s engineering graduate schools.

“We are working hard everyday to be a top choice for graduate and undergraduate students in the nation,” Fenves said.

Chemical engineering graduate student Timothy Bogart, president of the Graduate Chemical Engineering Society, said the ranking is a tribute to the outstanding achievements of the School.

“It is a reflection of the high quality and professionalism of our students and faculty that work hard to make UT one of the best universities in the nation,” Bogart said.

Mechanical engineering graduate student Columbia Mishra said the rank reassures the value of graduate student’s degrees now and for years to come, as well as the status of UT as a Tier I research institute.

“The research infrastructure, the best faculty in their respective fields along with the quality of student intake makes the School and UT Austin a top-notch institute,” Mishra said.

Although the School of Social Work was ranked number seven in the country, Luis Zayas, School of Social Work Dean, said the department aspires to be at the top.

“While we are proud of being among the top ten schools in the country, we continue to aspire to be number one,” Zayas said. “We have a commitment to continue our pursuit of excellence.”

Printed on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 as: U.S.  News gives UT graduate schools top rankings