Tigers prove their strength against Longhorns

2012-04-05_Softball_Missouri_Rebeca
Rebeca Rodriguez

Brejae Washington led Texas with two hits on Friday but the Longhorns were shutout on Saturday against Missouri.

The Longhorns definitely wanted a better close to April’s first weekend. The Missouri Tigers (30-6) proved how strong of a team they were and took the last two games in the series.

With very low production from the offense, Texas scored only four runs in their last two games while Missouri scored 13. However, Texas offense generated hits, 17 total in the two games, but the Tiger defense proved tough in the field, especially the pitching.

It was a different story for the team out of Columbia, Miss., however. The Tigers’ offensive production, especially late in the game, propelled them to their series win.

During Friday night’s game both teams proved even for the first six innings. After Texas finished batting in the bottom of the sixth, the score was tied 4-4 going into the last inning of play.

That is where the No. 11 Missouri team took charge.

Missouri’s Corrin Genovese hit a three-run homer in the top of the seventh to give the Tigers a three-run lead. After that they added on four more, putting MU up 11-4 with one last chance for Texas to come back. The Longhorns couldn’t do it though, and suffered their first loss of the season at home.

Saturday proved just as frustrating for the Longhorns. Chelsea Thomas of Missouri threw a five-hit shutout, giving them a Big 12 conference series win against Texas. It was an all around low-scoring game, as the Tigers only scored two in their win.

“I do think that they are able to take a step back and respect the game and respect the specific opponent that was in the circle,” said Texas head coach Connie Clark. “There are some times that you have to do that. We wanted the outcome, but we battled well and it does humble [the team]. We’ve been on a roll and this was like a College World Series type of matchup right here.”

This weekend showed the Longhorns they have room to improve.

“I like that they want to keep learning and growing,” said Clark. “It’s a good spirit in the locker room right now. I like that they’re down. To a certain extent, they expect to compete and win that series, and they were ready to go today. Just a good lesson to stay on track and get back to work.”

The Longhorns will have some work ahead of them. They are traveling this weekend, playing four road games. Wednesday night the team travels to Lubbock to face Texas Tech in a single game series.

Over the weekend, Texas travels to Kansas for a another three-game conference series.

Printed on Monday, April 9, 2012 as: Home losses mount for UT against Mizzou