Seniors finally step up, dominate Texas Invitational

While sunlight was obscured at the Texas Invitational on Saturday, the challenges unique to the outdoor season were bright and clear.

Faced with spotty showers and strong winds upwards of 30 mph, a Texas home team responded with a strong meet.

Competing in 14 of the meet’s 19 women’s events, 27 Longhorns racked up four overall victories, all in field events.

Junior Natasha Masterson ignited UT’s winning spree early with a first place in the pole vault. She propelled herself to the top seed on her first try with a season best measurement of 4.02 meters.

In the discus, Okwukwe Okolie clenched a victory with a winning throw of 51.15 meters.

A trio of Longhorns forged into the evening, taking the top three spots in the high jump. While tight competitors Victoria Lucas and Shanay Briscoe have been plagued this season by unsatisfying, unimproved marks, Lucas was able to pull ahead of Briscoe at the Texas Invitational.

On her eighth of nine jumps, Lucas leaped 1.83 meters to bring home first place.

Amanda Van Dyke closed out the last field event of the meet with an overall victory in the shot put with a throw of 15.37 meters.

“We’re expecting our seniors to step up,” head coach Beverly Kearney said going into the Texas Relays. “Our sophomores are doing a really great job. I put the [seniors and sophomores] together with a little bit of flavor from the freshmen and the juniors and we’re good to go.”