Win streak ends for Longhorns at Aggie Invitational

The Texas Longhorns men’s golf team saw its win streak end on Sunday, as it took a share of second place at the Aggie Invitational in Bryan Texas over the weekend.

No. 1 Texas, winner of its previous three events, failed to find a consistent rhythm throughout the event without its top player, freshman Jordan Spieth, who was taking place in the PGA Tour Valero Texas Open through a sponsor exemption. The Longhorns finished in a tie with host Texas A&M for a distant second place by shooting a 40-over-1120, 11 shots back of first place Oregon, who shot a 29-over-1109.

The course was likely the most difficult of the year for the Longhorns, and sophomore Toni Hakula believed that the weather conditions made things even tougher.

“It was a tough weekend,” Hakula said. “The pins were tucked, the wind was blowing yesterday, and the greens have been pretty firm so you can’t stop the ball. Once you started attacking these pins, if you missed the greens at all, you would be in a tough position to make par.

Hakula faired better than most in the event, as he led the Longhorns by shooting a 2-over-218, good for third place among individual golfers. Junior Julio Vegas claimed tenth place among individuals, recording a score of 223 (+7). Texas was the only team other than Oregon to have multiple players place in the Top 10.

Senior Dylan Frittelli had his roughest performance of the season, finishing in a tie for 29th with a score of 14-over-230. He was able to improve his place in the standings considerably after shooting a 70 on the final day after recording scores of 79 and 81 in the first two rounds.

The Longhorns will now travel to Whispering Pines in Trinity, Texas next weekend to take part in the Big 12 Championship. All things considered, Texas enters the tournament in good shape after finishing the Aggie Invitational in second place without Spieth, the top ranked player in college golf.