Longhorns break records tying up series with Baylor

The Longhorns were able to tame the bear this time around. After losing their first game of the series to conference rival Baylor, the Longhorns took this second game with ease on Tuesday night.

In the 7-3 win, Texas proved how strong of a team it is. While giving up seven hits and hitting 11 themselves, they were able to out power Baylor late in the game.

After five innings, the Longhorns were down. Baylor took the lead early with a 1-0 stand through the first two innings. When the Longhorns finally got some production in the third, the Bears responded with two more runs of their own to keep the lead by one. It wasn’t until the sixth inning when the true Texas team came out.

Two of the Longhorns leaders all season took their role as Lexy Bennett and Taylor Hoagland both hit home runs to knock in four runs. Hoagland, who was just named co-Big 12 Player of the Week, hit a home run with one runner on base, knocking in two runs to give the Longhorns the lead. Bennett, just two batters later, followed up with an almost identical home run, tallying another two runs to give the team a three-run lead.

It was a record tying and breaking day for the Longhorns. Hoagland, after hitting her home run in the sixth, tied her personal record for home runs in a season with 15.

Then senior Bennett broke a record herself, setting the new UT single season record for RBIs with her 51st last night. She took the accolade from Loryn Johnson, who graduated in 2009.

Finally, Brejae Washington set a new Texas career mark with her 63rd stolen base, passing the previous record of 62 set by Desiree Williams (2005-2009).

This was a much better game for the Texas team after their last game with Baylor ended in a loss. The eight inning game came in a period of the season for the Longhorns in which they had lost four out of their last seven, their first real period of losing this season. Tonight, however, Texas tied up the series with a win.

Texas will continue with Big 12 play this week when they face rivals Oklahoma in a three game series in Norman, Okla. There are only four games left for the Longhorns and they look to finish strong. A strong finish for the team can push the team into convincing postseason play, where they look to make a far run into the NCAA Women’s College World Series. 

Printed on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 as: Longhorns score five unanswered runs in record-breaking win over Baylor