Defense looking ahead after shutout

NOTEBOOK_2012-09-08_UT_VS_New_Mexico_Lawrence
Lawrence Peart

Adrian Phillips and the rest of the defense are looking ahead to Texas’ first away game of the season. Though they shut down New Mexico, Ole Miss is a much tougher matchup.

The Longhorns’ defense struggled to contain Wyoming’s strike passing attack, allowing 17 points and 345 yards. However, the unit rebounded against New Mexico this past Saturday to shutout the Lobos.

It was a combined tackling effort. Each player on the field stayed in his lane to contain the Lobos’ triple option offense.

It wasn’t perfect. Texas allowed 241 yards, but never let New Mexico enter the red zone, holding the Lobos to the middle of field. It was a bend-but-not-break mind-set and it was effective.

The Lobos’ goose egg has given the team a boost of confidence, but the defense is now focusing on Ole Miss.

“It feels good, but we can’t worry about that shutout anymore,” safety Adrian Phillips said. “It’s in the past. We have to worry about Ole Miss. A shutout is a good thing, but we’re not worried about that anymore.”

Players not worried about showdown with SEC squad

Much has been made about the Southeastern Conference being the best conference in America — the last six Bowl Championship Series national champions have hailed from the SEC — though many members of the Big 12 beg to differ with that statement.

Texas players do have a certain level of conference pride — the Big 12 is often labeled as a high-quality conference from top to bottom — but all of the players downplayed Saturday’s matchup with Ole Miss as a Big 12 and SEC showdown.

“There are a lot of things people have been trying to hype up,” defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat said. “But when you look at it, it’s two different teams coming against to play each other. All of that is just making a bigger deal than it is. Realistically, everybody thinks their team or conference are the best. “

Backs will all see carries after limited touches on Saturday

On Saturday, the rushing attack combined to produce 146 yards and three touchdowns, but a lack of touches by sophomore running back Malcolm Brown and freshman running back Johnathan Gray stirred the pot.

Brown only received two carries in the win, and the highly-touted Gray, had seven. These are low numbers for a group of backs that Brown said he would prefer to see 15 carries each.

But the team has downplayed its lack of distribution with the ball, and the running back room has stayed united. However, questions have been asked, and Brown stressed that everyone will touch the ball this week.

”We’re going to play Malcolm and Joe, and Johnathan Gray, and [senior running back] Jeremy Hills,” Brown said.

Former Longhorn WR Roy Williams retires from NFL

Former Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns great Roy Williams announced his retirement from the NFL Saturday on his Facebook page.

Williams, who compiled 3,866 yards and 36 touchdowns receiving in his four years on campus, left as the schools’ all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns. The impact he left on the Texas program is not lost on Brown.

“Roy is one of the great players to ever play,” Brown said. “He’s changed history here. He set that standard really high, and there aren’t many of him out there. I’m really proud of him.”