Latino Media Studies Program officially recognized on UT transcripts

The University will now recognize the Latino Media Studies Program, a certificate program in the College of Communication, on transcripts.

Students must complete 18 credit hours to receive the transcript-recognized certificate. The program previously required 12 hours for completion, but was not recognized on transcripts.

Joseph Straubhaar, faculty chair of the program and RTF professor, said recognizing the program will help students when they enter the job market.

“The Latino Media Studies program has been a terrific resource for both Latino students and those wanting to understand the growing Latino and Latin American media industries,” Straubhaar said in a statement. “If College of Communication students are looking for a way to stand out among all the others when they send out their resumes and transcripts, this is a really good place to start.”

Journalism senior Maria Rivera is in the program and said its classes are designed to explore the contributions of Latinos in mass communication and help students understand the impact Latinos have had and continue to have on journalism.

“I’m set to graduate in May and the extra mark on my diploma will surely demonstrate to potential employers the diversity of my education,” she said. “For the University to recognize the program officially means they too recognize the importance of studying Latinos in the media fields and are dedicated to preparing the next generation of Latinos, like myself, to succeed in those fields.”

The program began in 1995. Students pursuing the certificate learn about Latino and Latin American issues in media and communication.

Printed on Thursday, September 27, 2012 as: Latino Media Studies now recognized on transcripts