Texas prepares for first major tournament of the season

FILE_2012-01-29_MTennis_v_Tech_Shannon
Shannon Kintner

This weekend is the start of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Men’s All-American Championships in Tulsa, OK. The event will last a little more than a week and starts Sept. 29 with pre-qualifying rounds, continuing through Oct. 7 with the main draw. The Longhorns sent four players to each of the first two events this year but will be sending many more to the ITA Championships.

Soren Hess-Olesen, who was edged out in last week’s Napa Valley Classic finals by Georgia’s Nathan Pasha, will participate in the main draw singles along with teammate Daniel Whitehead. Chris Camillone, David Holiner and Sudanwa Sitaram will compete in the qualifying singles. Camillone and Holiner will also participate in the main draw doubles pool as a team. Whitehead will compete in the qualifying doubles with teammate Ben Chen. Chen, Jacoby Lewis and Joey Swaysland will round out the Longhorn participants in the pre-qualifying singles.

Texas has been out to a great start this season with impressive play all-around at the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational and the Napa Valley Classic. Hess-Olesen, No. 42 on ITA’s preseason singles rankings, and Whitehead, No. 46, did well in their first events this year and should do well again in Tulsa. Doubles duo Holiner and Camillone, No. 8 on ITA’s preseason doubles rankings, should also do well at the championships the following week.