UT men’s tennis team off to rough start in the ITA All-American Championships

The Longhorns are off to a bad start at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championships. Texas senior Ben Chen along with sophomores Jacoby Lewis and Joey Swaysland were all eliminated in the pre-qualifying singles round Saturday.

Chen and Lewis escaped the first round with byes, but Swaysland was not as fortunate, falling in the first round to Vukasin Teofanovic of Marquette (6-4, 6-4). Lewis followed with a loss in the second round to Russell Bader of Penn State (7-6, 7-5). Chen was also outed in the second round by Adam Lee of Wake Forest (5-0) before having to surrender due to injury.

The Longhorns will have to play better if they hope to advance to the championships, as they’ve done in previous tournaments this year. Texas should see promising play from No. 42 sophomore Soren Hess-Olesen, No. 46 senior Daniel Whitehead, No. 99 David Holiner, Chris Camillone and No. 109 Sudanwa Sitaram as they continue play in Tulsa, Okla.

Camillone, Holiner and Sitaram will continue play in the qualifying singles round, hoping to do better than their teammates in the pre-qualifying rounds. 

Chen will hopefully play with his doubles partner Daniel Whitehead, the No. 38 doubles team, in the qualifying doubles round this upcoming week.

The Championships will conclude this week with Hess-Olesen and Whitehead in the main draw singles round and No. 8 Holiner and Camillone in the main draw doubles round.