We asked: Fisher v. UT, for or against

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article mismatched respondents' photographs and responses.

We asked students standing on the steps of the Tower who they support in next week’s Oct. 10 Supreme Court case challenging UT’s race-conscious admissions policy. Abigail Fisher, a white student from Sugar Land, sued the University on the grounds that she was denied admission in 2008 due to UT’s unconstitutional, she alleges, consideration of race.

“Affirmative action maybe has served its purpose, but I don’t know. I think the university is a pretty multiracial, multicultural campus and so I think that there’s a lot of minority groups on campus now. It probably wasn’t that way when affirmative actions started, so maybe that’s grounds to keep it going because there’s a lot of inequality. So I guess my answer is still undecided.”

Andrew Averitt, biology senior

“Well I’m Hispanic, so I guess coming from my point of view I don’t think my ethnicity or race got me into this university because we work just as hard as any other race to be here.”
Madeline Chacon, communications freshman

“I’m going with being colorblind — no affirmative action. We’re trying to build a society where we don’t treat people based on the color of their skin, and for schools to look at us and admit us or not admit us with that being a factor is not helping anything.”

Nana-Ama Anang, marine biology junior

“Well, I disagree with the University’s policy to use affirmative action in their decision on accepting students … If you made a lot more based on financial criteria versus the criteria of race, sex or any of those types of things, we’d be much better served as to who we’re letting in, as to diversity and giving people equal opportunity.”

Trenton Makare, mechanical engineering sophomore