Four-star cornerback picks Texas

RecruitChevoskiCollins

Class of 2013 recruit, Chevoski Collins, No. 14 , verbally committed to Texas on Monday morning. Collins plays quarterback in high school but will likely play defensive back in college (Courtesy of Livingston High School).

Chevoski Collins became the 15th member of the 2013 Longhorn recruiting class on Monday morning, verbally committing to Texas in an announcement at his high school in Livingston, Texas.

Collins’ commitment is the first for the Longhorns since mid-June, when Butte Community College tight end Geoff Swaim chose Texas. Collins considered offers from Oklahoma, Baylor and Oklahoma State, but ultimately couldn’t resist staying closer to home.

“When I went to the University of Texas, it felt like family,” Collins told ESPN.com. “I just felt welcome there. And it’s so close to home, my family can come see me.”

Rivals.com rates Collins as the third-best athlete prospect in the state of Texas. Although he currently plays quarterback for the 1-4 Livingston Lions, Collins will likely spend his Longhorn career as a defensive back.

Collins won’t be the only member of the Longhorn secondary who spent significant time on offense in high school. Freshman Adrian Colbert, sophomore Quandre Diggs, junior Adrian Phillips and sophomore Josh Turner were all used to having the ball in their hands before coming to Texas.

Collins will join Cibolo Steele safety Erik Huhn and Bastrop cornerback Antwuan Davis as the third addition to the Longhorn secondary from the class of 2013. All three were recruited by UT secondary coach Duane Akina.

Texas is expected to accept only three or four more commitments for this recruiting cycle after bringing in classes of 25, 22 and 28 from 2010 to 2012. The 2013 class has the potential to be Texas’ smallest since 2003, when Texas signed only 18 players. With so few spots available, the Longhorns can afford to be selective in deciding which players will fill out the class.

Caleb Benenoch, an interior lineman from Katy who decommitted from Michigan State in June, is among the most likely candidates to be the next UT commitment. Benenoch is considering offers from schools around the country, although he has listed Texas as one of his top choices after visiting Austin this past weekend.

Even though he does not currently have a scholarship offer, wide receiver Laquon Treadwell is a dark horse to sign with Texas in February. The Illinois receiver is rated by Rivals.com as the best wideout in the country, and has been talking to UT receivers coach Darrell Wyatt. Although Treadwell is entertaining offers from dozens of schools including Florida, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio State, it is speculated that he will likely visit Austin before making a decision.

Other potential Longhorns include cornerback Cole Luke (who visited campus this weekend), Dallas Kimball defensive tackle Justin Manning and safety Marcell Harris of Orlando, Fla.

Printed on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 as: Collins commits, ends long drought