Longhorns go into third fall game with high heads

softball_torrey
Andrew Torrey

Catcher Mandy Ogle and the Longhorns are preparing for their season and are currently 2-0 in fall season. Ogle played in all 60 games last season and had a .994 fielding percentage.

Two games into their fall season and the Longhorns are off to a strong start. After winning their first two fall games to Incarnate Word and St. Mary’s, the Texas team is looking forward to challenging Alvin Community College in a home showdown Wednesday evening.

The Dolphins are coming in with an 11-day break after competing in the Sugarland College Classic while Texas is coming off of a 3-2 walk-off win last Friday night.

This game brings a little bit of excitement to Austin, as the Alvin head coach is former Texas player Loryn Johnson. She played 2007-2009 with many impressive stats. She was two-time Big 12 First Team and 2009 NFCA All-Central Region First Team. Johnson, who is a native of Alvin, leads Texas all-time in slugging percentage (.562) and second in career batting average (.349).

The Longhorns only had practice on Monday and Tuesday this week. The past weekend was used to focus on recruitment. Coming off of a close win against St. Mary’s, Texas is focusing on advancing the runners and not leaving any behind. Along with this, it wants to focus on playing the game to its fullest despite the score, whether up or down.

After tonight’s game, the Longhorns have a two-week break before they take on St. Edward’s and then Texas State. This fall season is an opportunity for the team to work on its goals and improve on its weaknesses before the regular season starts in the spring. While working on its playing is important, this fall season is a good chance to bond as a team and become closer as players.