NCAA investigating Myck Kabongo for possibly receiving impermissible benefits

2011-11-29_Basketball_vs_UNT_Elisabeth
Elisabeth Dillon

As a freshman, Myck Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. The NCAA is probing Kabongo’s eligibility with agent Rich Paul as well as his eligibility. Kabongo has not been declared ineligible. 

Texas sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo is being investigated by the NCAA for possibly receiving impermissible benefits from agent Rich Paul, Longhorns spokesman Scott McConnell confirmed to The Daily Texan on Wednesday.

Yahoo! Sports first reported the NCAA’s probe into Kabongo’s relationship with Paul, who also represents former Longhorns standouts Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph, along with the Miami Heat’s LeBron James.

McConnell said that Kabongo is still practicing with the team and that no timetable has been set for the NCAA to make its decision on Kabongo’s eligibility. Until the NCAA makes that decision, Kabongo would be cleared to play. Texas begins its season Nov. 9.

The report cited sources that said the NCAA is looking into whether travel expenses or any other costs were paid for by Paul when Kabongo traveled to Cleveland in May for workouts with professional trainer Jerry Powell, who said Paul was not present during the workouts.

According to the NCAA rulebook, a player would be declared ineligible if he or she agreed, verbally or in writing, to enter an agreement with an agent. NCAA Bylaw 12.3.1.2 states that a student-athlete would be ineligible if they accepted “transportation or other benefits from … any person who represents any individual in the marketing of his or her athletics ability [or] … an agent, even if the agent has indicated that he or she has no interest in representing the student-athlete.”

After averaging 9.6 points and a team-best 5.2 assists per game as a freshman last year, Kabongo turned down a chance to be selected in this year’s NBA Draft to return to Texas for his sophomore season.

Attempts to reach Paul on Wednesday night were unsuccessful.

Printed on Thursday, October 11, 2012 as: Kabongo subject of NCAA investigation