Key players in Baylor’s Strategy

The Associated Press

Terrance Williams – Baylor Senior Receiver

Nick Florence
Florence entered this season with possibly the toughest job of any other player in the nation; replacing Heisman trophy winner Robert Griffin III. He isn’t the game changer RG3 was and doesn’t propel the Bears to that level, but the senior has put together a solid year. Florence has completed 63 percent of his passes this season, with 1,874 passing yards and 18 touchdowns. Florence is a smaller quarterback standing at 6-foot-1, but his arm strength and accuracy are second to none in the Big 12 thus far in the season. Although the Bears are 0-2 in the conference at this point, Florence’s arm and poise have kept them in both contests. Against West Virginia, Florence had a career game passing for 581 yards and five touchdowns despite being overshadowed by Geno Smith. The Texas defense has proven vulnerable to solid passing attacks this season, so Florence should be a player to watch when the Bears takes on the Longhorns this week.

Terrance Williams
Every quarterback needs at least one reliable receiver to throw the ball to when the game is on the line. Williams fits that bill perfectly. At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Williams possesses impressive quickness and the ability to pick up yards after the catch. in five games he has amassed 37 catches for 830 yards and eight touchdowns. It should be noted that 314 of these yards came in the shootout against West Virginia, but Williams has proven to be a man of consistency, compiling at least 100 yards and two touchdown catches in all but one game this season. Williams is a receiver that pads his stats with speed. He is currently averaging 22 yards per catch, and has recorded a reception for at least 45 yards in every game this season. The Longhorns have had a hard time tackling speedy receivers so the coverage should be tight with Williams. Fans should expect Terrence Williams to make a big impact in this game.

Bryce Hager
Hager currently leads the Bears in total tackles this season with 61 and is third nationally with 12.2 per game. Hager is a stocky defender who causes the most trouble in stopping the run game. Hager has also forced two fumbles. Two other factors that will boost Hager’s play are location and history. The sophomore defender is an Austin Westlake product and will probably look to step up his game in his hometown and his father, Britt Hager (1986-88), is Texas’ career tackles leader. A strong and compact run stopper, Hager should be a player for Texas to keep in their sights as he returns to Austin for a matchup against the rival Longhorns.