Longhorns take first at Mansfield Invitational

Texas put away their 50-point lead at the Mansfield Invitational this Saturday by taking five out of eight events, winning the swim meet with 857.5 points.

“As a kickoff to what we hope will be an exciting season, we were very pleased with the performance of every swimmer and diver who participated in this competition,” Kris Kubik, assistant men’s swimming and diving coach, said. “We raced well. We fine tuned some things we’ve worked on this fall, and that showed up within the races.”

Texas A&M took second at the invitational with SMU in third and Incarnate Word in fourth.

The Longhorns performed well in relay events, scoring two victories. They started Saturday with a victory in the 200-yard medley relay. The team was made up of freshman Aaron Gustafson, junior Madison Wenzler and seniors Nick D’Innocenzo and Dax Hill.

The team also took a victory in the 400 freestyle relay, with Clay Youngquist, Hill, Ben Anderson and Austin Surhoff. Youngquist’s split on the second leg of the 400 free relay was a 43.81 — a meet best.

D’Innocenzo also took the 200 breaststroke for Texas, while freshman Sean O’Brien led the Texas diving team, taking second in the three-meter event.

The Longhorns’ next competition is Friday at Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center, where Texas will meet Indiana and Michigan.