Forte Ready to Run Wild in the Windy City

AP_Lions_Bears_Football_admi
The Associated Press

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte (22) stiff-arms Detroit Lions linebacker Justin Durant (52) during a 13-7 win Monday.

As October winds down and we enter the eighth week of the NFL season, it’s easy to wonder where the time has gone. In case you missed it, here are a couple of observations from the first two months of games: One, Robert Griffin III is really, really good. Two, Peyton Manning is back and as effective as ever. Lastly, fantasy football is still a crapshoot. Looking ahead to this weekend’s games, here is some advice to help make your fantasy lineup a sure thing:

Players to Start:

1) Matt Forte, RB, Chicago Bears

Although he hasn’t reached the end zone since Week 1, Forte is completely healed from an ankle injury and is back at full strength. Considering the Bears are facing the struggling Panthers, who Forte gashed for a total of 416 rushing and receiving yards and three touchdowns in their last two meetings, he should be due for a huge day. Expect Forte to rack up fantasy points in both the running and the passing game.

2) Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Tennessee Titans

Stepping in for injured starter Jake Locker, Hasselbeck has played considerably well over the past three weeks. With Locker out again and the Titans facing a Colts team that has given up at least two passing touchdowns in all but one game this season, Hasselbeck is a good option at quarterback this week. 

3) Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Many people believed Wayne would struggle this year without Peyton Manning throwing to him. That’s hardly been the case, however, as Wayne has had at least 70 yards receiving in every game this year. With the Colts’ offense working efficiently under rookie QB Andrew Luck and Indianapolis facing a generous Titans secondary, Wayne should have a solid game Sunday.

Players to Sit:

1) Alex Smith, QB, San Francisco 49ers

After a strong start to the season, Smith has struggled lately, turning the ball over four times and throwing only one touchdown in his past two games. Unfortunately, things don’t get any easier for Smith this week, who faces the Arizona Cardinals on Monday Night Football. So far this year, Arizona has given up the second fewest fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks. Sit Smith if you have another viable option.

2) Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

With the Steelers’ top two running backs injured, Dwyer seized his opportunity last Sunday, rushing for 122 yards against the Bengals. However, with Pittsburgh facing a Washington Redskins defense that is ranked dead last in fantasy football against the pass and tenth against the run, the Steelers will likely be throwing the ball Sunday.

Printed on Thursday, October 25, 2012 as: Fully recovered Forte should gash Panthers D