Event and game parking to stay limited

Parking options for UT home football games remain limited for students and the general public, but Parking and Transportation Services has strategies in place to ensure parking is available for concerts, lectures and other events on campus.

The Longhorn Foundation controls most of the game-day parking near Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, according to TexasSports. The foundation allocates spaces to donors based on annual contributions to the foundation and donors’ parking preferences.

Marsha Beckermann, UT development manager for athletics, said although the general public cannot use Longhorn Foundation parking, they may use alternatives such as the Longhorns Express, a shuttle that picks up attendees from Barton Creek Mall and UT Intramural Fields for a roundtrip fee of $9.

“We’re encouraging more and more people to take alternative transportation on game day,” Beckermann said.

UT parking permit-holders may park in Guadalupe, San Antonio and 27th Street garages for no additional charge on game days, according to Parking and Transportation Services.

PTS also designates game-day parking for students with valid parking permits in lots east of Interstate 35.

Parking is available to the general public on game days for $15 in San Antonio, AT&T Conference Center, Guadalupe, 27th Street and Speedway garages, as well as various lots near West Dean Keeton Street and West 27th Street.

Linsey Duett, PTS special events manager, said parking needs vary depending on the event. She said PTS asks departments to submit an online event parking request form so PTS can arrange parking for the events.

Chris Ward, assistant events manager at the Frank Erwin Center, said parking needs can vary depending on the event, but parking is available for different rates in garages and lots near the center.

He said lots may be used because of technical needs specific to each event. For example, a musical performer’s technical crew may need space in a lot near the venue.

“A Lady Gaga concert has different needs than graduation,” Ward said.

Printed on Friday, October 26, 2012 as: Event parking remains limited