Joseph Randle quietly turning in big season for Cowboys

FILE_2012_09_29_Football_vs_OSU_Elisabeth_Dillon5045
Elisabeth Dillon

Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle has quietly led the Cowboys to a 5-3 record and leads the Big 12 in rushing with 934 yards, 200 more than anyone else in the conference.

Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle does not receive the recognition that many of the quarterbacks in the pass-driven Big 12 do, but that does not mean the junior is not deserving of high praise. Randle leads the conference in rushing with 934 yards, nearly 200 yards more than anyone else in the Big 12. He has averaged 5.3 yards per carry and has scored nine touchdowns in eight games on the ground. While a trio of quarterbacks have put up strong passing numbers for the Cowboys this season, Randle is the centerpiece of the offense and is a major reason why Oklahoma State is eighth in the nation in points per game.

Klein likely to play Saturday

Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder seems to believe that quarterback Collin Klein has a strong chance of playing Saturday against TCU, saying Monday that he “seems fine to me” after leaving with a possible concussion in the third quarter of last Saturday’s win over Oklahoma State. The quarterback has emerged as the frontrunner to win the Heisman Trophy with his 1,875 yards and 12 touchdowns passing and 698 yards and 17 touchdowns rushing through nine games. The senior has been the biggest reason that the Wildcats are 9-0 and ranked second in the BCS standings. Kansas State has three games remaining on its schedule, and convincing wins in each contest would likely give the Wildcats the opportunity to compete in the national championship game.

West Virginia out of Top 25

Following its third consecutive loss, West Virginia is unranked for the first time this season. The Mountaineers, who began the year ranked 11th and climbed up to as high as fifth, are 2-3 in Big 12 play and have not won since Oct. 6. Quarterback Geno Smith, once a Heisman favorite, has thrown three interceptions in his last two games after not throwing any in his first six contests. The Mountaineers will take on Oklahoma State in Stillwater this Saturday before hosting No. 12 Oklahoma on Nov. 17.

Big 12 QBs piling up stats

The Big 12 has emerged as arguably the best offensive conference in college football, thanks in large part to stellar quarterback play. Texas Tech’s Seth Doege leads the nation with 31 touchdown passes and Geno Smith is not far behind with 29. Baylor’s Nick Florence is third in the nation with 3,019 passing yards, while Doege is sixth with 2,869. In addition to registering these lofty numbers, the Big 12 quarterbacks have been extremely efficient in 2012. Collin Klein leads the nation with an efficiency rating of 174.4, and five other quarterbacks in the conference also crack the FBS’ top 20.

Printed on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 as: Randle quietly paces Cowboys