UT System official set to retire in 2013

Kenneth Shine, UT System’s executive vice chancellor for health affairs, announced Monday he plans to retire in 2013.

As vice chancellor for health affairs, Shine was charged with developing health-related initiatives for the System and leading presidential searches for the System’s medical schools and health institutions.

Under Shine’s leadership, the Office of Health Affairs has completed six presidential searches for UT System institutions since 2003.

Shine’s retirement comes on the heels of the passing of Proposition 1, a local initiative which will increase property taxes raised by Central Health, Travis County’s hospital district, from 7.89 cents to 12.9 cents per $100 of assessed property value. The increase will contribute an estimated $35 million toward operations at a proposed UT teaching hospital and purchase medical services from students and faculty at a proposed University medical school for the general public.

UT System spokesperson Jenny LaCoste-Caputo said Shine’s retirement will not impede any progress on the UT-Austin medical school.

“Dr. Shine is 77 and retirement is something he’s been considering for a while,” LaCoste-Caputo said. “He’ll remain in the post until a replacement is found and plans to continue to be a resource for the system on health-related issues.”

The UT System is set to add a seventh health institution in 2015 with the addition of the UT-Austin medical school.