Longhorns recover from Lutz’s injury and earn a ninth place finish at national championship

With Texas’ highest ranking in program history, the NCAA Championship was shaping up to be a history-making race. If the results had reflected the Longhorns’ rank, Texas would have finished in fifth place, yet because of sophomore Craig Lutz’s unfortunate injury, Texas finished ninth.

Junior Ryan Dohner, who earned All-American Honors for his performance, did his best to boost the Longhorns up in the results with a 19th place finish.

Lutz had been working through sustained leg pain in the recent weeks before the meet; however, the injury was not expected to limit him severely in the race. Yet, because of the injury, Lutz was incapable of completing the race, dealing a significant blow to the overall team results.

“Craig got hurt during the race,” assistant coach John Hayes said. “The guys on the team see that, so it affects them, but I felt we held our composure. It was just not the result we were hoping for.”

Despite the disappointing results, coaches and the returning Longhorns acknowledge their success and are hopeful for next year.

“We had a good season and we’re excited about the future,” Hayes said.