Jordan Spieth considers options after failing to earn PGA Tour card

Sophomore golfer Jordan Spieth’s journey to the PGA Tour hit a roadblock Friday. He failed to advance to the Q-School finals and will not be able to earn his PGA Tour card this year.

Spieth was planning to go professional at the conclusion of the Q-School finals had he earned his PGA Tour card, but he was unable to crack the Top 20 in the four-day second round to advance. The sophomore finished the tournament with a score of 8-under-280, which was good for a tie for 26th place and three strokes shy of what he needed to advance.

Golfers are required to finish in the Top 25 in the Q-School finals in order to join the PGA Tour, with all other finals qualifiers having the opportunity to compete in the Web.com Tour. Since he was unable to qualify for the finals, Spieth will have a decision to make regarding his future.

Spieth will have the option to return to Texas for the remainder of the season and attempt to go pro following the NCAA championship, although he could pursue a professional career immediately in a number of different scenarios. He could play overseas, compete in Web.com Tour events through Monday qualifiers or participate in PGA events through sponsorship exemptions.

While Spieth has made a decision on his future, he has yet to publicly disclose his intentions.

“I’ve looked at all options everywhere,” Spieth told GolfWeek. “I know what I’m going to do, I’m just not saying anything right now.”

The Longhorns would like to have Spieth return, as he has been their strongest and most consistent player over the past year and a half. Currently the fifth-ranked collegiate golfer, the sophomore earned Big 12 Conference Player of the Year honors in 2011 and was instrumental in leading the

Longhorns golf team to its third national championship.

Should Spieth return to Texas for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, there is a strong chance that he will turn pro at the conclusion of the NCAA championship. Another possible scenario would see him return next season and compete in Q-School again next fall for an opportunity to earn his PGA Tour card.

If Spieth were to turn pro this January, he could compete in PGA Tour events through sponsorship exemptions throughout the season. He would likely have no trouble getting sponsorship exemptions when the PGA Tour comes through Texas, as he has already competed under such circumstances at the Byron Nelson in 2010 and 2011 and at the Texas Open in 2012.

For now, though, Spieth is focused on getting some rest and taking his time in preparing for the future.

“I’m just going to go home now and get some food and get some rest, enjoy Thanksgiving and we’ll see what happens,” Spieth said.

Printed on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 as: Spieth fails to advance, falls short of tour card