Offense struggles, Horns down 20-10

LP_01+%281%29
Lawrence Peart

Oregon State running back Storm Woods celebrates after his touchdown run in the first quarter.

The Longhorn offense’s debut with Major Applewhite as the playcaller did not begin as hoped. Texas' first three possessions of the game were three and outs.

In Peter Jinkens’ first start at linebacker, he intercepted Oregon State quarterback Cody Vaz.  But the Longhorns could not take advantage of the possession and Nick Jordan’s field goal attempt was blocked and returned to the Texas 37.  But the defense stopped them in the red zone.

A forced fumble by Alex Okafor and a recovery by Cedric Reed gave the Longhorns the ball at the OSU 26. But the offense couldn’t get a first down and Nick Jordan tied the game with a 40-yard field goal.

On third and 13 at the Texas 27, the defense allowed Vaz to throw a 15-yard pass to Connor Hamlett and continue the Beaver drive. Storm Woods put the Beavers ahead 10-3 with a 12-yard touchdown run.

Texas finished the first quarter with no first downs and 23 total yards.

Marquise Goodwin found the end zone early in the second quarter with a 65-yard touchdown run, tying the game at 10.

Thanks to a sack by Okafor, the Texas defense forced a second field goal by the Beavers to put them ahead 13-10. Vaz was replaced at quarterback by Sean Mannion. Oregon State ran the ball five times and finished Mannion’s first drive of the game with a 9-yard rushing touchdown by Terron Ward.

Texas finished the half down 20 to ten with just four first downs and 123 yards. The Longhorns were one-for-eight on third down conversions.

Despite a strong start, the Texas defense looked to be in midseason form and the Oregon State offense accumulated 228 total yards and 111 rushing yards.