What to Watch: January 22-26

On Wednesday, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will speak at the store BookPeople about her recently published memoir, My Beloved World. Her talk is free and open to the public, but tickets are required for the book signing that follows and are available only with the purchase of a copy of “My Beloved World” from Book People. The event begins at 6:30 p.m.

On Wednesday, the Student Action for Refugees group will hold its first meeting. Students interested in learning about projects supporting Austin-based Iraqi, Bhutanese, Burmese, Cuban, Eritrean, Somali and other refugees should attend. The UT chapter of Student Action for Refugees works in conjunction with the Refugee Services of Texas to help refugees “acclimate to life in the United States.” Mezes Hall (MEZ) 1.206, 7-8 p.m.

On Thursday, the UT Energy Institute is hosting a UT Energy Symposium offering “pizza and a casual conversation about how to improve energy education and research on campus.” The institute came under scrutiny recently when an outside review revealed that professors used flawed practices when publishing a study that concluded that fracking does not cause groundwater contamination. The director of the institute resigned and the lead researcher of the study retired. Free and open to the public. Mezes Hall (MEZ) 1.306 

On Friday, UT mechanical engineering professor Rick Neptune will present a talk titled “Improving Human Performance through Design Optimization.” The talk is free and open to the public. Bellmont Hall (BEL) 328 12-1 p.m.