Kansas deals Longhorns ninth straight loss in 76-38 victory

WBasketball_UTvsKansas
Jeff Jacobsen

Freshman Sara Hattis tries to defend against Kansas Wednesday night in Lawrence. The Longhorns couldn't keep up with the Jayhawks, fell 76-38 to hit 0-7 in the Big 12. 

(Photo courtesy of Kansas Athletics)

Another game down and another loss for the struggling Longhorns.

The Kansas Jayhawks handed the Longhorns a 76-38 defeat in Lawrence, Kan., on Wednesday night, dropping Texas to 0-7 in the Big 12. With the Longhorns undermanned with their two leading scorers, Nneka Enemkpali and Chassidy Fussell, out for violation of team rules, Texas struggled to do anything right.

Kansas began the game on a 10-2 run, sinking shot after shot against a slow Texas defense. The Jayhawks (12-5, 3-3) finished the half on a 25-3 run to take a 46-12 lead into halftime.

Texas’ 12 points was the lowest first-half scoring output in school history. Their 17 turnovers did nothing to help the Longhorns as the Jayhawks scored 20 of their 46 points off turnovers.

Although Texas had a couple of scoring runs in the second half, it was much the same as the Jayhawks finished the game shooting 50.9 percent, including 47.6 percent from the three-point line, while blanketing the inexperienced Texas lineup.

Freshman Imani McGee-Stafford was forced to play big minutes due to Enemkpali’s absence, registering eight points and eight rebounds in 28 minutes of play. Senior Nadia Taylor played a career-high 18 minutes and scored a career-high eight points.

Even with the suspension of two key players, the Longhorns continued their inconsistent play. Texas outrebounded Kansas 39-36 but shot 27.3 percent from the field with 28 total turnovers.

Whether it’s inexperience or simply a lack of focus for the Longhorns, something needs to be changed sooner rather than later.

“Until we can learn to be disciplined together and do this thing together, then we’re going to continue to have disappointments in the Big 12 because it is too balanced as a league,” head coach Karen Aston said following last weekend’s game against Oklahoma. 

Texas will continue its search for a conference win when it hosts Kansas State on Saturday afternoon at the Frank Erwin Center.