Offensive recruits predict success

Four years from now, the nine newest members of the Texas offense will have time to consider their first seasons as Longhorns.

They will be able to think back on each game, each practice, each rep and recreate all the things they did, or perhaps didn’t do.

At this point it’s difficult to say how those memories will go, but at least one of those eight feels optimistic about them.

“People will say we accomplished everything we said we would,” Cypress Falls wide receiver and Texas verbal commitment Jacorey Warrick said. “Hopefully a Big 12 Championship, national championship and a degree from UT.”

Warrick has big plans for the offensive component of the class of 2013, which includes fellow wide receivers Jake Oliver and Montrel Meander, tight end Geoff Swaim, guard Rami Hammad, center Darius James, offensive tackles Desmond Harrison and Kent Perkins and quarterback Tyrone Swoopes.

Though Swoopes may have grabbed headlines during the season with his running ability, the class’ offensive linemen are its anchor. James, Perkins and Hammad are all rated as the best players in Texas at their respective positions by rivals.com, and Harrison should play immediately.

James missed most of his senior season with a broken foot, but still played in the Under Armour All-America Game. Though he impressed scouts and coaches, James’ most ardent supporter is his own future teammate on the offensive line.

“Darius could make the biggest impact out of anyone in this class,” Hammad said.

Hammad was not offered a scholarship by Texas until his performance at the Semper Fi All-Star Game in January, but nonetheless has some lofty expectations.

“We’ve all got one goal, and that’s to win a national title,” Hammad said. “Not nine or 10 games, but a national title.” 

For his expectations to become a reality, Hammad will need plenty of help from Perkins, another member of what he calls “the best [offensive line] class in the country.”

Perkins participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and impressed observers more with his intangibles, rather than his physical performance.

According to rivals.com, Perkins readily played center during the AAA Bowl, despite not having snapped a ball since middle school. Perkins says he will do whatever the team needs in order for it to be successful.

“I’m looking forward to being part of the team. I’m ready for [Texas] to be good again,” Perkins said.

Shoring up an offensive line is a good start, but this year’s class won’t be judged just by what happens in the trenches.

Receivers Warrick and Oliver, though vastly dissimilar in styles, will be crucial in ensuring the success of the class.

Boasting a 6-foot-4-inch, 194-pound frame and a resume that includes leading the state of Texas in career receptions, Oliver has the tools and skills to be successful immediately.

“Obviously, Jake Oliver is going to play right away,” Mike Farrell, rivals.com national recruiting analyst, said.

Warrick, meanwhile, could have an equal impact on the outside or in the kicking game, but clocks in at 5 feet 10 inches tall and 168 pounds. A shifty receiver who models his game after former West Virginia wideout Tavon Austin, Warrick suffered a meniscus tear in October that ended his senior season.

“I’m not the biggest guy, but I can hold my own,” Warrick said.

He won’t have much of a choice. With only nine members, this offensive class will need contributions from everyone to be a success.

To hear them tell it though, there’s not much chance of doing otherwise.