We Asked: Un-gag powers?

The Question: How do you feel about the UT System Regents’ putting what the Austin American-Statesman called a “gag order” on President Powers, which prohibits him from discussing Inappropriate employee-student relationships?

Kandy Mercado
Neurobiology sophomore from Dallas

Well, I don’t know what their purpose is. I assume it’s to try to not make a big deal out of it, but I feel that when people are not allowed to speak about something, it makes people question things more. Instead of making it a concrete thing, “This is what’s happening” or “This is why it’s happening,” people are just sort of trying to come up with ideas on their own. 

It’s probably just going to make it a bigger deal, more of a controversy. If that’s what they’re trying to avoid, I feel like the way that they’re doing it is going to backfire on them.

Kelsey Coto
Public health and biology senior from Austin

I don’t know a whole lot about it, but it kind of seems like the Board of Regents is in charge of long-term, broad goals for the University. And maintaining a clear image for the University could be in the best interest of UT, so it makes sense that they would want to not talk about it, not make any public statements until the trials are done, or whatever. You know, when everything is more clear.

I think the word “gag order” makes it sound more extreme than it is, but I think it’s maybe in their jurisdiction to do that.

Ebenezer Rosiji
Biology sophomore from Arlington

Well, it’s a political move, first of all, They don’t want him to talk because that could raise more problems, but it should still be brought up. Depending on who it is, it’s going to come to light sooner or later so, I mean, it is a problem and it needs to be taken care of, because you can’t have similar situations go unnoticed but then have other situations be punished for it. So, either way, it’s going to come up, and it’s going to be big.

Randy Rountree
Biology junior from San Angelo

They don’t have to silence all of it. They should leave out the policies that are definitely not going to change. Only the parts of the regulations that are going to change, or that could possibly change, should not be allowed to be talked about, because it could give people misinformation.