Longhorns’ shooting struggles, Felix’s eight turnovers doom Texas in final game before Kabongo’s return

First Half

It took the Longhorns nearly five minutes to get on the board, but they finally did with Javan Felix’s layup at the 15:31 mark. Texas, whose defense boasts the nation’s second-best field goal percentage, held Oklahoma State to 32.3 percent shooting from the floor in the first half. The Longhorns trailed 29-22 at halftime after shooting 33.3 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes.

Second Half

A seven-point halftime deficit became a 19-point Oklahoma State lead before long. Demarcus Holland began the second-half scoring with a jumper that cut the Cowboys’ advantage to five points but that was as close as the Longhorns would get. They’d go on to lose by 13, marking the sixth time they have lost by double digits this season.

Stock Down

Javan Felix: In his last game as the team’s starting point guard, Felix scored as many points as the number of turnovers he committed — eight. The rest of his team committed seven. In the 27 minutes he was on the floor before fouling out, Felix grabbed one rebound and recorded just one assist while shooting 3-for-8 from the floor.

Prince Ibeh: He doesn’t normally get many minutes anyway, but Ibeh didn’t do himself any favors by being called for four fouls in just nine minutes of play. Ibeh has played more than 10 minutes just once in his last seven games, but he can’t keep getting into quick foul trouble like this, especially with Jonathan Holmes sidelined with a broken hand.

By the Numbers

1: Three-pointers made by Texas. The Longhorns were 1-for-18 from beyond the arc in Saturday’s 72-59 loss to Oklahoma State. Julien Lewis, who scored nine points on 3-for-13 shooting, hit his team’s only three-pointer with 4:02 remaining in the first half. Texas went on to miss its final 11 attempts from beyond the arc.

2: Days until Myck Kabongo makes his season debut. Kabongo has completed his 23-game suspension for receiving impermissible benefits during the offseason. Texas has gone 10-13 in his absence, winning just twice in conference play so far. Kabongo’s replacement, Javan Felix, has had his ups and downs. His 5.5 assists and 3.3 turnovers per game are both the third-most in the Big 12.

What’s Next

Texas hosts Iowa State on Wednesday as Kabongo takes the floor for the first time this year. When the Longhorns went to Ames last month, they were blown out in a 82-62 defeat. It was their third straight loss during a five-game losing streak.