Longhorns battle UT-Arlington after opening series win

2013_02_16_Baseball_Texas_vs_Hornets_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

Highly touted freshman shortstop C.J Hinojosa started strong in his first series with the Longhorns, batting .545 with two extra-base hits in three games against Sacramento State last weekend. Despite already committing three errors this year, Hinojosa should be a serious contributor both offensively and defensively for Texas. 

After kicking off the season with a series win over the weekend, the Longhorns will look to pick up their third victory of the year Tuesday against the UT Arlington Mavericks.

Texas (2-1) will send freshman Chad Hollingsworth to the mound for his first career start. The right-hander, who made his collegiate debut as a reliever on Saturday, went 13-2 with a 0.50 ERA and 139 strikeouts in 97.1 innings as a senior at Robinson High School in Waco last season.

Hollingsworth will attempt to match the performances of starters Parker French and Dillon Peters over the weekend. French pitched seven scoreless innings and struck out five players to pick up the win Friday, while Peters allowed just two runs in seven innings during Sunday’s victory.

The Texas lineup will also look to continue its strong play, as it recorded at least 10 hits in each of its first three games. Junior Mark Payton has responded well to batting cleanup, as he hit .583 with three runs and five RBIs over the weekend. Freshman shortstop C.J Hinojosa also made a nice impression in his Longhorns debut, batting .545 with a pair of RBIs and a run scored.

Head coach Augie Garrido was pleased with the Longhorns’ start to the 2013 season.

“Well it wasn’t a sweep but it was, I think, good baseball by both teams,” Garrido said. “I think that a lot of good things were done by both teams throughout the weekend. Both teams hit the ball frequently and hard and put pressure on the defenses.”

UT-Arlington also had a successful opening weekend, as the Mavericks swept Louisiana Tech. They scored 20 runs in the three games of the series, and five players batted at least .375 against the Bulldogs.

Tuesday’s game is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field