Hollingsworth and relievers pitch strong game against UTA

Game Breakdown:

Innings 1-3: Pitcher Chad Hollingsworth put up an impressive start in his debut as a starter, holding the Mavericks scoreless through the first three innings. The right-hander worked himself out of a bases-load jam in the first inning and struck out three batters in the first two innings. On offense, Erich Weiss stroked a double down the left field line in the first inning and drove in two runs in the third on a bases-loaded single. 

Innings 4-6: UT-Arlington scored its first run of the game in the fourth on an RBI groundout by Jake Pinchback after Matt Shortall led off the inning with a triple. Hollingsworth was replaced by Travis Duke after five innings. The Texas lineup only managed one hit, a single by Matt Moynihan, in the middle innings. 

Innings 7-9: The Longhorns offense went down in order in both the seventh and eighth innings. UT-Arlington threatened in the top of the seventh by putting two men on with one out, but Ty Marlow came out of the bullpen and was able to work out of it. Corey Knebel recorded his first save of the year by pitching two scoreless innings, striking out three.  

—Peter Sblendorio

Stock up: The Texas bullpen had another strong outing Tuesday night, as four relievers combined to pitch four scoreless innings. Since allowing five runs before making an out in the eighth inning of Friday night’s opener, Texas relievers have allowed just two runs in 10.1 innings. 

Stock Down: 

Jacob Felts recorded two in three at bats in Texas’ first game of the season, but the catcher has gone 0-9 since. After remaining hitless in three at bats Tuesday, the catcher’s batting average is .167 on the season. 

What’s Next: 

The Longhorns will take on Nebraska this weekend in a three-game series at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. The Cornhuskers are 0-4 to start the season, averaging just three runs per game.