Lt. Gov. to announce Board investigation

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst is expected to release details Wednesday on the Texas Legislature’s involvement in the ongoing tension between President William Powers Jr. and members of the UT System Board of Regents.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Dewhurst said the Legislature will conduct hearings that will investigate allegations that regents are micromanaging Powers’ administration but has not decided on a forum for those hearings, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

The announcement came a day after the Legislature passed three resolutions honoring Powers. During a ceremony on the Senate floor, Dewhurst and multiple senators defended Powers’ record and decried his detractors.

“I believe in reform and I know Bill Powers believes in reform,” Dewhurst said. “That’s why I’m particularly troubled when I see UT regents go around this man. I see them trying to
micromanage the system.”

Josh Havens, Perry’s deputy press secretary, did not directly comment on the Legislature’s plan to conduct hearings on the regents and Powers, but said Perry is pleased with recent events involving the University, such as the regents’ decision to direct universities to offer a four-year fixed-rate tuition plan to students.

“Gov. Perry highly respects each of the board members, and trusts them to manage the system in a manner that is in the best interests of the students and the taxpayers,” Havens said.