Men’s tennis picks up pair of victories in home opener

The Longhorns finally regained their poise as they bounced back from a three-match losing streak on Thursday by collecting a pair of wins in their first contests at home this season.

Texas looked like the No. 15 nationally ranked team that they are against UT Arlington, sweeping the Mavericks 7-0. Nick Naumann and Joey Swaysland buoyed the charge for Texas, each winning their singles matches in straight sets before clinching doubles matches with their respective partners. 

No. 17-ranked doubles team David Holiner and Chris Camillone took the court together for just the second time this season in the team’s 6-1 victory against Washington in Tulsa. The duo narrowly won  against Nagy/Barta 9-7. 

The rest of the match went something like clockwork as No. 39 Hess-Olesen swept the Islander’s Nagy in straight sets, showing why he was the ITA player to watch last year. 

Ben Chen was the only Longhorn to lose, being narrowly defeated in straight sets. 

“We really enjoyed playing in front of our fans again and competing for the first time after a short break in our schedule,” head coach Michael Center said. “We showed signs of improvement today in a number of areas, but there is still some room to get better.”

The Longhorns will travel to Florida next weekend to face Florida State and the University of Southern Florida before a three-week home stand.