Texas celebrates birthdays with win over newcomer TCU

Why Texas Won:
Texas came out of the gate hot, showing the 2,814 in attendance why it has now won two of its last three games. The team went on a 19-3 run to start the game and took TCU by surprise. Bench players made a huge impact for the Longhorns as they scored 15 points for Texas through 44 minutes of combined play. The Texas defense also played solid as it held TCU to just a 30.2 shooting percentage and left opponents with only one basket amongst 18 attempts in the first 12 minutes. 

First Half:
Texas started out the game strong, continuing its hot shooting from its last home stand. The Longhorns went on a streak to put the Horned Frogs behind from the start, not allowing a point from them for approximately ten minutes after their first three. TCU was struck with poor shooting and sloppy play in the first part of the half, shooting only 21.9 percent from the floor. The tides started to turn, however, just after midway through when the Longhorns lost their focus, missed shooting opportunities and let the Horned Frogs end the half with a 10-3 run to shorten the Texas lead to 30-18.

Second Half:
Texas started off the second half the same way it ended the first — struggling. TCU came out of the gate with a 16-4 run to get within two points of the Longhorns. After a media timeout midway through the half, Texas began to find its way again and went on a 11-4 run of its own to stretch the lead back out. The Longhorns would maintain that margin against their new Big 12 foe and claim their fourth conference win of the season by a 59-46 edge. Texas shot 40.7 percent from the floor each half. 

Stock-Up

Freshman duo of Davenport and Sanders: Empress Davenport and Brady Sanders both celebrated a birthday this week as Davenport turned 19 on Tuesday and Sanders turned 20 on Monday. Davenport tied Imani McGee-Stafford as the two led the team with 15 points each, a career-high for Davenport that she complemented with five rebounds. Brittany Sanders also had an impact night with eight points and four assists, going four-for-four from the free throw line. 

By the Numbers:

33- Texas’ win against TCU was its 33rd in program history. The Longhorns hold a perfect record against the Horned Frogs, who they have been playing against since 1976.  
15- Davenport, who celebrated her 19th birthday by helping claim Texas’ 11th win of the season, had a career-high 15 points on the night. This was a game-high tied by McGee-Stafford. 

What’s Next

The Longhorns look to Saturday when they travel to Stillwater, Okla. to face Oklahoma State. The last time these two teams met the Longhorns lost a 64-52 thriller to the Cowgirls in the midst of a nine-game drought.