Women’s basketball travels one more time before its season ends

2013-02-27_Womens_Basketball_vs_TCU_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Brady Sanders drives to the basket in the Longhorns’ 59-46 win over TCU on Tuesday night. Sanders played her most impressive game of the season with eight points and four rebounds. 

The Longhorns hit the road one more time this weekend as they head north to Stillwater, Okla., to face Big 12 foe Oklahoma State.

Texas (11-16, 4-12) will face the Cowgirls (19-8, 8-8) for the second time this season as it finishes its last two games of the season.

The last time out the Longhorns beat struggling TCU, which sits at the bottom of the Big 12 standings. Freshmen Empress Davenport and Imani McGee-Stafford led their team with 15 points each while Brady Sanders also stood out with eight points and four assists.

Oklahoma State is coming off a loss against Texas Tech. Despite shooting 51 percent from the floor, the Cowgirls were unable to push past the Red Raiders with their 23 turnovers. Senior Toni Young leads her team with 16.5 points per game along with 10.2 rebounds per game.

The Cowgirls are also second in the Big 12 in both scoring offense (75.1 points per game) and field goal percentage (45.4 percent), second only to Baylor.

Texas faced Oklahoma State in mid-January at home where they lost a 64-52 thriller. The Longhorns were in the midst of a nine-game drought in which they lost their first seven conference games.

Head coach Karen Aston is starting to see her team come together. The young squad is beginning to realize what it takes to win in such a competitive conference.

“They are feeling more comfortable with the expectations of our coaching staff and of the Big 12,” Aston said. “Our freshmen have had way too many minutes for us to be making excuses about mistakes they are making or things that they do wrong. I think they have had way too many minutes to feel that way.”

As the Longhorns round out their season, Aston looks forward to the years ahead, as only one player is leaving after this season.

“They’re all returning,” Aston said. “The bottom line is all of these players are coming back with a world of experience. Their chemistry will be so much better, and they’ll have a better understanding of what we’re doing. I am excited about the future, but I want them to remain focused on what we have left.”

Published on March 1, 2013 as "UT still playing in Stillwater".