Longhorns prepare for last home stand of the season

2013-02-27_Womens_Basketball_vs_TCU_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Junior Chassidy Fussell attempts a jumper during Texas’ win over struggling TCU. Fussell and the Longhorns look to end their season on a high note as they host new Big 12 West Virginia tonight.

The Longhorns will have one more game to play in front of their home crowd as they face Big 12 newcomer West Virginia on Tuesday evening. 

The Mountaineers (17-11, 9-8) visit Austin as the young Texas squad (11-17, 4-13) plays its last home game of the season at the Frank Erwin Center. 

Texas is coming off of a 64-58 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday. Led by Nneka Enemkpali, the Longhorns were unable to power past their Big 12 foe. The sophomore recorded her 12th double-double of the season with 17 points and 11 rebounds.  

The last time Texas faced off with West Virginia, it lost 53-49 in Morgantown. 

Leads were exchanged early in the game but the Mountaineers were able to take a six-point lead into halftime. Texas took the lead and held it for most of the second half. While they eventually lost that margin, the Longhorns were able to bring the game to within one point with 35 seconds on the clock. However, they were unable to pull through and their losing streak increased to five games. 

This will be the third time these two teams have matched up. The first time was during last season’s NCAA tournament, where West Virginia took the 68-55 win to end Texas’ season. 

While it may be a little too late, the inexperience of the Longhorns is starting to fade away. Head coach Karen Aston believes her team is starting to realize what it takes to play in the Big 12. She hopes to take this attitude into next season.

“Our freshmen have had way too many minutes for us to be making excuses about mistakes they are making or things that they do wrong,” Aston said. “I think they have had way too many minutes to feel that way. I think they are saying that now. They are feeling more comfortable with the expectations of our coaching staff and of the Big 12.”