With Texas missing the NCAA tourney, Rick Barnes misses out on $125,000

2013-03-05_Mens_Basketball_vs_Baylor_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Texas head coach Rick Barnes walks off the court after the Longhornsr recent 79-70 over in-state rival Baylor. 

In each of his first 14 years at Texas, Rick Barnes led the Longhorns to the NCAA Tournament. For the first time during his tenure, Texas won't be dancing and Barnes won't get the $125,000 bonus he would have received had the Longhorns particpated in the first round of the NCAA tournament, per his 2012-13 compensation package (obtained by The Daily Texan). 

There is no incentive for participating in the NIT or CBI tournament. In fact, each of the tournament's 16 teams is required to pay a $35,000 entrance fee. Texas will play Houston at Hofheinz Pavilion on Wednesday at 8 p.m., and the winner will go on to play either George Mason or College of Charleston March 25. The CBI championship is a best-of-three series beginning April 1.

Other than winning the national championship, which has a payout of $250,000, no Barnes incentive is greater than participating in the NCAA tourney. For example, if the Longhorns made it to the second game of the tourney, Barnes would have received a mere $30,000. 

Texas (16-17) beat TCU in the first round of the Big 12 tournament last Wednesday before falling to Kansas State in the quarterfinals in Kansas City on Thursday. 

The Longhorns committed a Barnes-era record 26 turnovers in a 69-46 win over Coppin State last November. Texas set a single-game record when it scored just 41 points in a loss to Georgetown last December, the fewest by Texas under Barnes. 

The Longhorns lost five straight games, another Barnes-era record, to begin Big 12 play this January and ended the month with a 83-57 loss in Manhattan to Kansas State. The 26-point margin marked the worst road loss in conference play by Texas under Barnes, a record matched when the Longhorns lost to Kansas, 73-47, on Feb. 16 in Lawrence.