Texas finishes ninth at NCAA, Sogar wins 200 breaststroke title

Texas capped its season off with a ninth place finish at the NCAA Championships but landed its first individual title winner since 2001 as senior Laura Sogar won the 200-yard breaststroke.

“It feels so good,” Sogar said. “That was the last swim of my college swimming career. There have been some ups and downs. It was great to finish it off well and with a win.”

Sogar pulled ahead Saturday in the last 50-yards, beating out a former champion in the event, Minnesota’s Haley Spencer, and the American record holder Breeja Larson. Sogar finished in 2:05.41, Spencer in 2:06.15 and Larson in 2:06.24. Sogar’s best time is 2:05.04. 

“I’m happy she was able to put it together at the right time,” head coach Carol Capitani said. “It was a little off of her best time but at this meet the time doesn’t matter. It’s about winning.”

Sogar finished sixth in the 100-yard breaststroke Friday.

Texas finished ninth place overall with 186 points, while Georgia took the top spot with 477, followed by California at 393 and Tennessee at 325.5.

Junior Sarah Denninghoff added points for her team with an eighth-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay featuring juniors Alex Hooper, Denninghoff, Samantha Tucker and senior Kelsey Amundsen finished seventh on the last day of competition.

Senior diver Shelby Cullinan and redshirt junior Maren Taylor missed the championship but managed a one-two finish in the consolation final. Cullinan won with 315.35, while Taylor had 309.55.

Published on March 25, 2013 as "Sogar grabs NCAA title for Longhorns".