Baseball fails to capture first Big 12 series win of the season

The Longhorns were unable to pick up their first Big 12 series victory of the year this weekend, dropping the decisive third game 5-4 to Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Texas (16-11) spotted the Cowboys four unearned runs in the first inning after third baseman Erich Weiss committed an error on what would have been the third out of the inning to allow two men to score. Oklahoma State (21-6) added a pair of runs in the inning on a two-run double by Robbie Rea.

C.J Hinojosa accounted for the Longhorns’ first run with a home run down the right field line, his second this season. The home run in the second inning gave him eight RBIs in the last four games.

Nathan Thornhill settled down after a rocky first inning to pitch 7.1 innings for the Longhorns. Just one of the right-hander’s five runs allowed was earned, and he struck out six batters while lowering his ERA to 2.92 on the season.

Texas took the first game of the series 8-5 behind a pair of three-RBI performances by Hinojosa and catcher Jeremy Montalbano each. Parker French was inconsistent in his first start in two weeks, giving up four runs in three innings and did not record a strikeout.

On Friday, Texas trailed 3-1 before the game was suspended due to thunderstorms in the second inning. Play resumed Saturday, and Oklahoma State  used a four-run eighth inning to clinch an 8-3 victory and set up the rubber match that night.

With the series loss, Texas fell to 2-4 in conference play and 3-7 on the road this year. Mark Payton recorded a hit in every game of the series, extending his career-high hit streak to 16 games.

Texas looks to bounce back Tuesday when they begin a five-game homestand against Texas A&M Corpus Christi.