Longhorn track and field team set to host Texas Invitational

Texas will have all the comforts of home this Saturday at the Texas Invitational. 

The meet will mostly be a Lone Star State affair, with athletes coming in from Baylor, Texas Tech, UTSA, TCU, Houston and Texas State. Cal State Northridge will also send some of its competitors to the non-scored meet.

As it was last week in Arizona, some of the bigger names on the Longhorns’ roster will be rested for the meet. Ryan Crouser, who sits at the top of the NCAA shot put rankings and seventh in the discus, is scheduled to compete in the discus event at 7 p.m. Keiron Stewart will sit out his specialty event, the 110-meter hurdles, but is entered in the 400-meter dash. 

The rest of the team will have a chance to prove their mettle against the tough competition. Freshman Johannes Hock, the reigning Big 12 heptathlon champion, is scheduled to compete in four events (long jump, shot put, 110-meter hurdles and the 4×400 relay) in what will be his first real action after a tiring indoor season.

Isaac Murphy will also go through a similar gauntlet of events as his forte, the decathlon, will not be run at the meet. Last week’s pole vault champion, Casey Wicker, and a sampling of Texas’ dominant long-distance team will also perform at the meet which starts Saturday at 1 p.m.