Texas grabs sixth Tuesday-night win against UT-Pan American

Innings 1-3: The Texas offense took advantage of a struggling Broncs defense to score four runs through the first three frames. This was highlighted by three runs scored in the bottom of the third off of six walks that The University of Texas-Pan American pitching staff allowed. Josh Urban was solid on the mound for the Longhorns, facing just one over the minimum and logging two strikeouts in the first three frames. 

Innings 4-6: Things slowed down at the plate for the Longhorns. Ty Marlow plated C.J Hinojosa in the bottom of the fourth for the Longhorns’ only run scored in the middle three frames. Freshman Travis Duke came in as relief after Urban gave up one run through two outs in the fifth.

Innings 7-9: Junior Corey Knebel came in to close for the Longhorns in the top of the eighth and was effective in his first appearance since being sent home early from the Longhorns’ series against Kansas this past weekend. The UTPA pitching staff kept control of the Texas offense through the final three frames and was able to get out of several tight on-base situations. Texas’ only score came from an RBI double by Marlow in the eighth, his second RBI on the night.

By the Numbers:

6 – Tuesday night wins by the Longhorns this season. Texas has lost only two mid-week games this season, a trend that the Longhorns hope to use this weekend against West Virginia.

10 – Hits by the Longhorn offense that resulted in three of the Longhorn’s six runs. The other three came off walks and a balk by the UTPA defense.

12 – The number of walks allowed by the UTPA defense. Six of those came in the third inning alone and resulted in three runs by the Longhorns.

15 – Longhorn runners left on base. The Broncs left only five through nine innings.

Stock Up:

Tuesday night pitchers: They weren’t always perfect, even against an overmatched UTPA offense, but they did what was needed to get Texas the win. Urban came and started on the mound for the Longhorns and pitched four solid innings before giving up a run in the fifth. Duke came in as relief and continued to frustrate the UTPA offense. The Broncs had several on-base opportunities, but the Texas pitching staff refused to relent giving up only one run off five hits on the night. 

What’s Next for the Horns

West Virginia – The Longhorns will host the Big 12 newcomer in a three-game series this weekend. First pitch is slated for 7 p.m. Friday night followed by games Saturday and Sunday. The Mountaineers (21-17, 4-5) are sixth in the Big 12 and are coming off a 13-5 victory over Morehead State at home.