Longhorns look to capture Big 12 title

The Longhorns will look to take their first Big 12 title since 2004 when they compete in the Big 12 Championships in Hutchinson, Kan., Monday through Wednesday.

Despite winning the national championship last season, Texas finished the Big 12 tournament as runners up to Texas A&M. The team’s last conference championship in 2004 was the last of three consecutive conference championships. Those are the only three Big 12 titles the Longhorns have.

Texas comes into the Big 12 Tournament with momentum on its side. The Longhorns have won their past two tournaments and have won four tournaments during the regular season. Despite the win, the Longhorns remain No. 3 in the Golfweek rankings behind the University of California and last year’s national championship runner-up Alabama. Freshman Brandon Stone fell one spot to third in the rankings. Senior Cody Gribble is ranked 20th.

The Longhorns come into the tournament as the top rated Big 12 team. Texas Christian University is the next highest team in the conference ranked No. 11 nationally. At No. 14, Oklahoma State is the only other team in the conference ranked in the top 25.

After the Big 12 is over, the Longhorns have to wait until May 16 to compete in the NCAA Regional Championship.