What to Watch: April 22-26

At the beginning of every week, we provide a list of opinion-worthy events to expect during the coming week.

On Monday, April 22 at 4 p.m., students can attend a conversation with Dr. Paul Farmer of Harvard Medical School on the Haitian earthquake and the human rights implications of health care in the Quadrangle Room of the Texas Union, to be followed by a lecture at 7:30 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom of the AT&T Center. The event is hosted by the UT Humanities Institute.

On Wednesday, April 24, the Texas State Employees Union will be available to answer questions at an information and sign-up booth from 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. on the West Mall. “The union seeks to improve salaries, benefits and working conditions of all state workers, including faculty, staff and student employees at UT-Austin … [and] advocates across-the-board flat-amount pay raises and opposes all attempts to remove long-standing protections against arbitrary cuts in benefits.” 

On Thursday, April 25, Harvard English professor Louis Menand, a writer for The New Yorker and a Pulitzer prize winner, will deliver the annual Glickman Lecture on “The Condition of the Humanities” at the UT Alumni Center, Connally Ballroom. The lecture is free and doors open at 6:30 p.m.