Longhorns swept by in-state rival Baylor

2013-04-24_Baseball_UTvsHouston_Shweta
Shweta Gulati

Junior Ty Marlow talks with a coach and catcher Jacob Felts during the Longhorns’ game against Houston on April 23. The Longhorns were swept over the weekend by Baylor as their Big 12 troubles continue. The team has yet to win a conference series this season. 

The Longhorns’ season-long conference struggles continued in Sunday’s 5-2 loss to Baylor, allowing the Bears to complete the three game series sweep.

Texas was held hitless through three innings and scoreless through five, as Baylor starter Ryan Smith turned in one of his strongest outings of the year. Smith allowed just two runs on six hits in 6.2 innings, picking up three strikeouts on the way to his second win of the year.

Nathan Thornhill recorded a strong start for the Longhorns, holding the Bears to three runs in 6 1/3 innings while striking three. The right-hander allowed an RBI double to Nathan Orf in the third inning and a two-run single to Cal Towey in the fifth to give the Bears a 3-0 lead through five frames.

The Longhorns answered in the sixth inning when Jacob Felts’ single to left field scored Mark Payton, and Texas would add another run in the seventh on an RBI infield single by C.J Hinojosa.

The Bears added a pair of insurance runs in the eighth inning behind run-scoring hits by Steve Dalporto and Duncan Wendel while the Baylor bullpen kept Texas off the scoreboard for the final 2 1/3 innings. Crayton Bare was dominant in picking up his third save, striking out the side in the ninth inning while holding the Longhorns hitless.

The Longhorns struggled to score against the Baylor pitching staff, managing just four runs in the three-game set. The team dropped the series opener, 6-2, behind four errors that led to five unearned runs on Friday, and were unable to back up a solid start by Dillon Peters falling, 1-0, on Saturday.

Sunday’s loss marks the first time Texas has been swept by the Bears since 2005. The Longhorns have now been swept twice in 2013, with the other instance coming on the road against Stanford on March 1-3.

Texas has now dropped each of its six series against conference opponents this season and nine in a row dating back to last season. The Longhorns are currently 5-13 in Big 12 play and sit alone in the basement of the conference standings.

The Longhorns will have a chance to end their three-game losing streak on Tuesday night when they host Texas A&M Prairie View. The game is set to begin at 6 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.