Web designer remembers friends

AMYNAAAAA
Marisa Vasquez

Amyna Dosani is a graduating journalism senior. She started in fall of 2010 as a reporter and copy editor. She has also worked as an associate copy desk chief and recently joined the Web staff.

Editor's note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in The Daily Texan’s basement office. The term comes from the old typesetting mark (-30-) to denote the end of a line.

What’s that cliche about ups and downs? That’s how I’d describe my time at The Daily Texan. It’s been an incredible three years in this endearing basement, where I worked (very) briefly as a reporter, extensively as a copy editor and associate copy desk chief and recently as a member of the web staff. As a staff, we encountered a lot of learning opportunities, and I think that is exactly what made working here so great. I am so grateful to have worked here and to have contributed to such a dynamic, prestigious publication throughout my college career with some truly amazing people.

I always knew, even in high school, that if I attended UT-Austin, I would most definitely work for The Daily Texan. I barely knew anything about the journalism department here, but you can bet I knew I was working for this paper. While I wasn’t a reporter for long, I found my niche at the copy desk, where I could be the perfectionist grammar nerd that I am. I always looked forward to seeing all the cool hairstyles and makeup looks Elyana would rock that day, and I still don’t know if it was a blessing or a curse that Klarissa generously fed my Snickers Ice Cream bar addiction every week with her leftover Dine-in Dollars. Overall, I don’t think anyone has sass like the copy and design department.  No copy cat or kitten can compare to Riley the copy LION. Except the very rad Kristine. Or Bow Tie Bobby.

Outside the copy desk I was surrounded by friendly faces, such as the kickass, inspiring personality of Audrey; the ever-singing, ever-reporting, ever-deliciously-baking Jody; Bow Tie Bobby, who has worked with almost every department possible at this office; the witty, hilariously cynical mind of Aleks; Omar and his beautiful wardrobe; and the cool and hardworking Pu.

And to my Web friends, I’ll never forget hacking the codes, puffing cheese polymers and watching out for those bouillon constrictors and croissantulas in the bathroom. Thank you, Hayley, Ryan, Tyler, Omar and everyone else for making me feel so welcome and supported and, of course, for making me laugh until I couldn’t breathe. Now, can someone please call pest control already?

I’ll always be thankful for my time here and look forward to seeing how the paper continues to grow.

-30-