Track and Field competes at USA Outdoor Championships

Members of both the women’s and men’s track and field teams competed in the 2013 USA Outdoor Championships last week with athletes participating in championship finals. 

On the women’s side, sophomore Courtney Okolo beat her career best in the 400 meters to win the junior title. She secured herself a spot on the 2013 Pan American Junior Athletic Championship team competing in Columbia Aug. 23-25.

Senior Shanay Briscoe made it to the event finals in the high jump, finishing 10th. Sophomore Melissa Gonzalez finished fifth in the 400 meter hurdles in the junior division.

Competing in Jamaica at the Jamaica National Senior Championships, senior Danielle Dowie placed second in the 400 meter hurdles with a career best time and earned a spot on the Jamaican team for the IAAF World Championship in Athletics which will be held Aug. 10-18 in Moscow.

In the men’s decathlon at the outdoor championships, sophomore Ryan Crouser had high hopes for a big finish after winning both the Big 12 Outdoor and NCAA shot put titles in May. Crouser instead finished seventh in the event, while 2013 world leader and 2012 world champion Ryan Whiting took first.

Incoming freshman Wolf Mahler captured the decathlon title in the junior division and will join the program in the fall.