Swimming preview: Orange and White Meet

The University of Texas men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams are finishing this year out on a high note and looking toward a bright start for the 2013-2014 season.

This year’s FINA World Championships in Barcelona have been lucrative for the Longhorns. Texas Exes Ricky Berens and Michael Klueh helped win gold for Team USA in the 4X200-meter relay, Jimmy Feigen won silver in the 100-meter freestyle, Michael McBroom broke an eight year American record and won silver in the 800-meter freestyle, and Berens and Feigen helped win silver in the 4X100-meter relay. Texas Ex Karlee Bispo was the first UT woman in 22 years to win gold at World’s in the 4X200-meter freestyle relay. Returning senior Maren Taylor placed 11th at World’s in the 3-meter diving event.

In a testament to well-rounded prowess, the UT men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams won Scholar All-American Awards, and 16 swimmers and divers received awards individually.

Leading the Longhorns for 2013-2014, the team will look to a host of rising seniors including Matt Belecanech, Ian Carbone, Sarah Denninghoff, Ellen Lobb, Will McCraney, Lily Moldenhauer, Charles Moore, Patrick Murphy, Keegan Severns, Maren Taylor and Samantha Tucker.