Cross country preview

Both the Texas men’s and women’s cross country teams will kick off their 2013 seasons this weekend in Waco at the Bear Twilight Invitational.

The men’s team finished second at the Big 12 Championships last season, first in the NCAA South Central Regional Championships and ninth at the NCAA Championships last November.

This week, the men’s team ranked No. 15 in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association’s preseason poll and ranked second in the South Central Regional poll. Texas’ national spot marks the fourth-straight year the team has been ranked in the top 15.

Senior Ryan Dohner, a top NCAA finisher, will return to the Longhorns men’s team. Dohner placed 19th overall at the national meet, fourth at the regional event and sixth at the Big 12 Championships. 

The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association ranked the women’s team No. 27 in the nation, but the Longhorns also secured a No. 2 ranking in the South Central Regional poll. The lady Longhorns finished third at the Big 12 Championships last season and second at the South Central Regional. At the NCAA Championship, the team placed 25th overall.

Senior Marielle Hall, who won the South Central Regional competition in 2012 and finished 23rd at the NCAA Championships, will return for her last season.