Texas Longhorn RB/WR Daje Johnson ruled out for Ole Miss

2013-09-03_Football_vs_New_Mexico_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Texas running back and wide reciever Daje Johnson will not play in Saturday’s game against Ole Miss after suffering an ankle injury against BYU, the school anounced Monday.

After only three plays against BYU, Johnson limped onto the sideline and was eventually taken into the locker room with what is speculated to be a high ankle sprain.

This news comes after Texas' 40-21 loss to BYU, where the offense struggled to produce. The sophomore back will be severely missed.

"This sounds like an excuse, but a lot of the offense [that offensive coordinator] Major [Applewhite] planned was gone after the third play on Saturday," head coach Mack Brown said.

Johnson recorded two touchdowns with a total of 129 yards against the Aggies, helping Texas to a 49-point rout over New Mexico State in Week 1.

“Johnson is a big part of our offense when the play is called,” junior running back Malcolm Brown said. “Those guys in the training room do a great job at getting him healthy and getting him back as soon as possible. We just have to move on from it and keep playing.”

Junior quarterback David Ash, who left the BYU game with an apparent shoulder and head injury, will be evaluated day-by-day this week. Senior Case McCoy would start in his absence.